Monday, March 8, 2010

Embracing the Divine in the mundane

I meditate daily using a special integrated approach. The point of this approach is to develop a contemplative attitude and ground myself in awareness while doing ordinary deeds so as to make the entire life an endless meditation. I have been working specifically on that for a year; and for the last few weeks my presence has rapidly grown stronger and stronger. Combined with constant self-therapy mediated through communication with the self and others it liberates various aspects of my being, various hidden subjects, to be incorporated into my overall self-system; moreover, the same liberation can be seen in the being of people around.

I still don't have that many lucid dreams (it is the kind of dreaming in which you are aware that you are dreaming) and conscious awareness in something similar to the deep dreamless sleep state has happened to me only probably once. I certainly hope the translucence will be entering more and more into the dream realm. But the waking state is becoming more and more a lucid dream itself; and my perceptiveness into the many ways we touch (mostly, by attempting to persuade, to bribe, to manipulate each other into believing a circumcised and castrated story of how it is to live; and rarely, by sharing simple presence and encountering authenticity) expands enormously.

Still, I find it useful to do an intensive sitting meditation and inquiry into the present experience at least once a day for about 1 hour. It is like brushing your teeth in the morning and taking a shower: wakes up the entire system of being towards its more holistic mode. The whole point of the meditation is giving the awareness space to everything that occurs in all five senses and beyond. I distribute my awareness through all channels and modalities I have—seeing, hearing, bodily sensations, movements, thoughts, subtle anatomy, soul being, and so on. The result of it is usually an increased awareness of the awareness itself. It is grounding oneself in the basic fact of the Ultimate Reality that cannot be denied or doubted, Descartes' brilliant cogito ergo sum, "awareness therefore existence."

Everything that is before me is a fleeting dream of which I AM aware. Everything disappears and only the Unborn remains the same. This is all-pervading Silence, quietude that speaks through the spaciousness of awareness which is pure consciousness as it is. The Silence integrates all being into the One conscious manifestation of wisdom and compassion. I am slowly shifting towards disappearance and unity with all perspectives that enter awareness which is no longer mine, which is aware of me right now. The same transcendental observer that looks through my eyes is looking through yours. This is why we are closer to each other than we could ever think of or imagine.

2 comments:

  1. Presence. Pre-sense.

    ---

    Being the one behind the senses, the one that enjoys experimenting with body and senses and emotions, while remembering they are only toys, tools, illusions to play and create life; to enjoy being conscious of it all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. By an accident, I've just found a nicely written set of articles on cultivating presence on this website:

    http://www.innerfrontier.org/index.html

    The author there basically gives the same injunctions: gradually distributing awareness and witnessing the visual channel, the audio channel, the proprioceptive channel (body), the kinaesthetic channel (movements), and so on. Eventually, the awareness will enlighten all manifestation and find it flowing in the Emptiness.

    ReplyDelete